Taylor is doing well in 2nd grade. She is making progress in all her expected areas. The two areas of concern were mapping....which she attributed to the amount of time they have covered it so far. She showed me the workbook for the year and they are only 1/4 of the way through so nothing has been mastered yet. The other area was in writing. She gets stuck and re-writes the same thing over and over. So it looks like she wrote a lot when you glance at it...but there's very little content.
For example: The bride at the wedding was beautiful, she wore a white dress. I thought she was very pretty. Everyone said she was very pretty in her white dress. I want to wear a white dress someday so everyone will tell me that I am pretty. People in white dresses are pretty.
LOL
So we need to work on that.............
Her teacher felt that she is doing well in math, but admitted that the first quarter is a review of 1st grade, so new stuff is yet to come. We work on math every night....flashcards to improve mental math and I try to work on money often as well.
Using 2 quarters, 5 dimes, and 5 nickles show all the possible ways to make $0.75.
(last nights homework...ug! pulling my hair out!)
Molly's conference was good too. She exceeds all the expectations for a 1st Quarter Kindergartner except for reading comprehension. She could read it....better than she 'needed' to...but then couldn't re-tell what she had read. Her teacher truly felt though that it wasn't that Molly 'couldn't' tell her...she just 'wouldn't'. She felt that at the time of the assessment, Molly was still learning to trust her and feel safe...so she ventured that if she asked Molly to do the same thing now (a month later than when she assessed) that she would be able to tell her what she had read.....and I completely agree. I don't mind if Molly is shy (not like I can really do anything about it anyway) I just want her to communicate what she knows to her teachers. Her teacher said she is starting to share more at circle time.
Her favorite 'free choice' area is the kitchen and her favorite friend is another quiet little boy in the class.
I was impressed with Molly's dictated sentence. She was asked to write something like:
The pig in the mud had a spot.
She did really well....it didn't look like that...but she had most of the sounds and spelled more than half of the words right. Way to go girl!
She aced her capital letters, got 24 out of 26 on her lower case letters (those p's and q's are tricky), knew all of her letter sounds, shapes, and can count to 20.
Molly has taken a recent interest in reading so when I'm torturing Taylor with math practice Molly has been doing some reading and site-words for me.
Very proud of both of the girls for their hard-work and happy teachers!
No comments:
Post a Comment