Friday, May 7, 2010

God Bless

A Gift

On May 2nd, 2010 Taylor had her First Communion. 

I was one of her faith formation teachers this year so I had a special part in her preparation for her special day.  And though I have my qualms with Catholism, and agree to disagree on many fronts, I did enjoy my time with her this year. 

On the ride in on Sunday, I was preparing her with last minute reminders.  What do you do with your hands while you're walking up? Fold them.  How do you hold your hands to receive the host?  One on top of the other.  What do you say? Amen.  How do you put the host in your mouth? Hand is a plate, fingers as the fork...don't shovel it in.  Do you chew on the way back to the pew?  No.

I'm a tough teacher!

Then I hear from Taylor, "Molly, it tastes like cardboard."

We arrived at church early so Taylor could line up with her class and walk in together.





The dress Taylor decided to wear was actually mine...we'll call it....vintage.


The ceremony went well.  After chuch there were some group pictures, but I had planned to take most of my pictures back at the house so we didn't have to fight the mob for some altar space.

My reasons for choosing St John's were very apparent to me on Sunday.  After chuch there were lots of people to talk to...lots of friends and family...lots of generations of people that I know and love.  And that part....community...belonging to a large 'family' is more of what church is about for me than the archaic traditions and masculine predominance....Ok..off my pulpit.  Point is....it felt right!

Back at the house we took some photos in the beautiful weather!






 


Godparents, Aunt Heidi and Uncle Dave


Then we all had some lunch and some yummy cake.  We visited with friends and family.  We laughed, the kids ran around, and we enjoyed the day.  When the clouds rolled in we called it a day.


Growing up fast!

No comments: