Thursday, August 25, 2016

Welcome Home


So the couple that bought our house (teachers none the less~one being a HS teacher in Waunakee~weird right!!!) had used the same realtor as we had so we were able to negotiate a good move in move out scenario.

The couple that sold us their house was down sizing and moving to an apartment before a longer move across the country to Texas.  Knowing that most of their stuff was going into storage we decided to ask them if they were interested in selling us their basement furniture.

They offered it to us for $1000.  Then we got the appraisal back and found out that there was a significant difference between the appraisal of the house (what the bank is willing to loan us) and what we negotiated as a price. In talking with our realtor this rarely happens and when it does the buyer and the seller usually meet in the middle of the difference. Our buyer was not willing to move so I spent several days with a throbbing pain in the back of my head that I have determined must be the bank part of my brain.  After a few days we figured everything out but we were not in a position any longer to buy their basement furniture.  

A couple of days after the bank drama our realtor calls me and tells me that she and the buyer's realtor both feel bad that the buyer was not willing to compromise on the price, so they were going to each chip in half and buy the furniture for us~WOW

We did get a POD to help with the move~it was AWESOME!  We gradually packed and moved items into the pod.  Then we hired College Hunks as our movers.  I had a rep come to the house and take an inventory and we set a date for the move.  Then I didn't hear from them.  24 hours before the move I called to confirm and was told that our move was scheduled from 8-12 with two guys.  Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!  I confirmed the size of the house and the items to move and the person I spoke to agreed with me that 8-12 was not going to be enough time.  She asked if she could call me back.  *Breathe* Ten minutes later she called me back and assured me that she had 3 movers available and that they were available the entire day. *Exhale*

After a restless last night in the house, we woke up to rain!  At 7:30 I get a call from the HUNKS wanting to know if I wanted to postpone~*WHAT* *NO*~I perhaps not so politely informed them that I expected there to be 3 hunks at my house at 8:00 to move my house.  Then the girls and I headed out while Chris supervised the moving of the furniture.

The hunks arrived and they were in Waunakee by 3 to unload.  Turns out, they were the EXACT same movers that had moved our buyers out of the house....deja vu! 

A huge shout out and thank you to family that helped us move!  My brother, sister, and brother-in-law helped haul boxes and assemble furniture. My mom hosted and made meals. My uncle and aunt helped organize and have been very helpful since moving day with building deck stairs, garage set-up, and landscaping advice. Chris's mom and Gene loaded their vehicles up with last odds and ends. 

All the girls had beds to sleep in the first night, Chris and I had a mattress but our bed wouldn't arrive for a few more days.

The next day, I went back to the old house and cleaned and scrubbed.  My last task was to dig up the Saint Joseph and take that with us.  Of course, I had no shovel to accomplish this and had to go ask my neighbor across the street if I could borrow a shovel~they were more than happy to help!  

I shed a few tears as I closed up the house for the last time.  Our first home.  All the girls came home to that house, all the girls took their first steps in that house. They learned to ride bikes on that sidewalk and trick or treated on our neighbor's doors. Raspberries were eaten straight out of the garden and smores were made in the fire pit.  The park around the corner held curvy slides and tire swings. Soccer games were played and softballs were shagged.   You will all be missed!

****Thank you SP for an amazing 15 years**** 


These three bottles were waiting on the counter at our new home....courtesy of our realtor who bought them as restitution for calling Chris "Chad" several times.

No comments: