Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Gift of Education

I am not in any way shape or form wanting to think of my children as old enough to be in High School.  But today was the grand opening of the new high school so I had to go and peek at what our tax dollars have been building. 

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L


All classroom have natural lighting...sooo good for a learning environment!


Classrooms were full of shiny new desks, freshly painted walls, and impressive technology.


Even the lockers looked pretty!


Display cases just waiting for student projects.


Thank goodness for all the well-labeled hallways...a person could get lost in this place!


The staight lines of the walls, lockers, ceiling tiles and doors are nicely complimented by the curves on the ceilings and the floors.  And check out that shine!  Hope they invested a little money in a good floor cleaner!


This is a view from one of  the windows...it is a courtyard designed to allow teachers to take students outside and conduct lessons...the picture does not do it justice!


Ok, so I was a little impressed...even the water fountain looked like a picture opportunity for me.


There was a volleyball invitational going on as I was walking around and I couldn't help but wonder if that would be one of my girls someday...and what an amazing venue!

DH is an alum so I snapped a picture of his graduating class...can you find him?  


This was the oldest class picture that was hanging on the wall.

An amazing gift to my children.  I'm so excited that they will be a part of it....a long long time away..but a part none the less.


The new school will house 10-12 graders.

The previous high school has been converted into a 8-9 building and renamed....


To borrow from one of the speeches given this morning...this school is an excellent example of reusing, and recycling.  This site originally housed Southside Elementary School, then the High School was built near by; eventually the two buildings were joined and converted into one High School; now it will be an upper middle school..or as it was referred to today, "The Heights".

I don't want my girls to grow too quickly, but I'm excited for them to have so many opportunities...and though I will always be a warrior the cardinal is really growing on me...

No comments: