Thursday, August 23, 2012

Museum

The post has a lot of pictures!
 
We went to the Milwaukee Public Museum courteousy of the summer library reading program.   I wasn't sure how busy it would be and I wanted to make sure that we got tickets for the planetarium show so we packed up bright and early to get there at 9 am when it opened.
 
*crickets chirping*
 
Other than employees I'm pretty sure we had the museum all to ourselves for the first 45 minutes we were there.  Which made pictures like this a breeze to take!
 

There were alot of bones.  Molly and Morgan are imitating the evolutionary skeletons behind them.




Not all the animals were extinct.  They had a live butterfly exhibit with a companion bug exhibit.  Molly was very brave.  On her terms, she patiently prompted butterflies onto her finger.  It's funny how intellectually you know there are butterflies flying past your head but instinctively you still flinch.

 
 At the bug exhibit, Molly really impressed.  First a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach....

Then the biggest Walking Stick I have ever seen. (And she requested to go back later in the day to do it again!)

 
After clearly being 'outshined' by her younger sister, big sis got in on the action.  Sweatshirt down and hands covered.  
 
 
A less hands-on approach was enjoyed by the younger two.
 

 
The Lacey butterfly is emerging from her chrysalis.
 


 
 
One highlight of the day for the girls were the escalator rides between levels.
 


Amazing displays that were colorful and captivating.  I wish my girls would have a been a bit more interested in reading along the way, but at the very least they got a visual education.

e



The planetarium show was a.m.a.z.i.n.g!  And that show that I was afraid would sell out???  There were probably 200 seats??? and maybe 20 people...oh well!

I love the night sky...and they show all the constellations.  I can't remember the last time I was at the museum but I remembered that...impressionable!

The color show was educational and visually pleasing.  Vivid, fast-paced, and as unscientific as they could be for the general audience.


It's fun to learn new things and imagine what is beyond our star.


No comments: